Throughout winter, it’s important for businesses to ensure the proper functioning of their external industrial doors, roller shutters, and sectional doors. Harsh weather conditions, such as cold temperatures, snow, and ice, can take their toll. Regular maintenance during the winter months is essential to prevent malfunctions, enhance security, and prolong the lifespan of these doors. In this blog post, we will explore some practical tips for maintaining your external industrial doors from Industrial Door Engineering throughout the winter season.
- Inspect and Clean Regularly: Begin the winter maintenance routine by conducting a thorough inspection of all external doors. Look for signs of wear and tear, rust, or any damage to the rollers, tracks, and hinges. Clean the doors using a mild detergent and ensure that any debris, such as leaves or dirt, is cleared from the tracks.
- Lubricate Moving Parts: Cold temperatures can cause metal components to contract, leading to increased friction and potential damage. To prevent this lubricate all moving parts, including hinges, rollers, and springs. This will not only reduce wear and tear but also ensure smooth operation during extreme weather conditions.
- Address Rust and Corrosion: Winter weather can accelerate the development of rust and corrosion on metal components. Regularly check for signs of rust and apply an appropriate rust inhibitor or protective coating. Addressing rust promptly will help prevent further deterioration of the doors.
- Examine Electrical Components: For electrical doors, inspect the electrical components, such as sensors, switches, and control panels. Ensure that all electrical connections are secure and that there are no exposed wires. Cold weather can affect the performance of electrical systems, so a thorough inspection is essential to avoid operational issues.
- Clear Snow and Ice: Accumulated snow and ice can impede the smooth operation of external doors and roller shutters. Regularly clear snow and ice from the door’s tracks, ensuring unobstructed movement. This not only prevents damage to the doors but also reduces the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Schedule Professional Maintenance: Consider scheduling professional maintenance with us during the winter months. Our experienced technicians can identify potential issues, perform necessary repairs, and provide recommendations for optimal door performance. Regular professional maintenance can extend the lifespan of industrial doors and enhance their reliability.